Prior to the opening of the School in May, 1952, there were only two schools in Ormskirk; the Derby Street Infants and Girls' School, which opened in 1838, and the Aughton Street Boys School, which opened in 1874.
After the end of the Second World War, the managers of these two Aided Schools very wisely allowed them to become Controlled Schools. As a result of this action, the two ancient schools were closed and the children were transferred to the new school on Greetby Hill, the Infants in l951 and the Juniors in l952.
The Junior School was opened on 5th May with 464 pupils and thirteen members of staff. The official opening took place on 24th May 1952 and was performed by County Alderman Mrs. K.M. Fletcher and Canon F. A. Redwood, Chairman of the Managers and Vicar of Ormskirk, who suggested a school motto; "Nothing but the Best".
The Percy Bilton Swimming Pool was opened in June, 1972 and the cost of the building was shared between the Local Authority and Mr. Percy Bilton.
On 5th May, 1977, the Silver Jubilee of the School was celebrated with a Thanksgiving Service held in the Parish Church and the children were presented with a Silver Jubilee Book Mark, especially made to commemorate the occasion. Her Majesty the Queen sent the School a letter of congratulations on its Silver Jubilee, less than a month before her own.
On 1st September, 1984, the Ormskirk C. E. Infant School and Junior School were amalgamated into Ormskirk C. E. Primary School.
As our name indicates, we are closely associated with Ormskirk Parish Church. Our status as a Church of England Controlled School means that the Church elects a proportion of the Governors. They are known as Foundation Governors and support our Christian emphasis on the everyday life of the school. The Church does not contribute financially to the work of the School.